As a business professional, focussing on the methods of building effective business relationships is important because you may want to build a closer relationship with your current client for most of the time, these clients end up providing you with repeat business offers.
But building a closer relationship with your client can be easier said than done, but here are a few tips which should enable you to do just that. Do remember that not everyone has the same likes and dislikes, and if you are serious about building a closer relationship with your client, then you may want to start off by acting on some of the tips posted below – do check them out.
- Closer communication: When it comes to building effective business relationships, the first place to start would usually be communication. Chances are that you do not often communicate with your clients regarding projects or in providing them with timely updates. This can be quite problematic and can even cause a burgeoning work relationship to sour.
This is why it is essential that you take proactive measures since you would want to develop a close connection with your current clients. And the first thing that you need to do is to establish clear communication protocols that help to define and support this work relationship. You need to develop an open and frank relationship with your client and ensure that he remains updated on every stage of the project, so that he is well informed of the current state of progress as well. This should enable you to develop a closer connection with each other.
- Positive attitude: This may come as a surprise but when it comes to building effective business relationships, you may find that a positive attitude often goes a long way. When you end up displaying a cynical or negative attitude, others would be less likely to trust you and may want to re-evaluate the relationship itself. And that is why it is essential you develop a positive attitude and a positive frame of mind can enable you to develop a closer business relationship with your clients.
- Personalize it: One of the effective methods when it comes to building effective business relationships is to personalize the same. But remember, that at the end of the day it is still a business relationship and you still need to stay professional. As it is, when it comes to developing closer business relationships with clients, you can make some efforts to personalize the same.
You know the old saying that you are required to remain professional all the time – well, no one is claiming that you should not, but there is no reason that you should not be on a first name basis with your clients or why you should not send greeting cards on important occasions.
For example, if your client is celebrating his wedding anniversary, you may want to send over a small gift – the point being that these little things can actually help you in building effective business relationships, with your client as well as others.
- Knowledge and information: Building effective business relationships can be hard and that is a given. But every now and then, you may come across opportunities that can enable you to take this business relationship to the next level.
For example, if your client feels digitally challenged and does not know how to adjust the settings on his new smart phone and you do, then you can utilize this opportunity to share the information and knowledge with him, which effectively should help you develop a closer business relationship.
The fact is that as you share information and knowledge with the client, you should be able to develop more trust and confidence in each other. And you can leverage this to develop a closer working relationship, one that could well lead to more work as well as repeat assignments and projects.
- Be open: When it comes to developing stronger work relationships with your client, you may find that it pays to be open and frank. Rather than sugar coating all the aspects of your work, you may want to be open and frank with your clients. This should help develop more trust and confidence in you both as a person and as a professional.
Moreover, if your client assigns some work that you are not comfortable handling, then you may want to tell him right away about the same. You could provide a cursory reason as to why you may not want to take up the work and remember, you also need to make the reason both credible and reasonable. And since you had informed the client well in advance, he would definitely appreciate your candor on the same as well.
- Exceeding expectations: The best way to develop close business relationships with clients is to exceed their expectations. And when that happens, these clients are less likely to shop around and would want to stick with you. You may want to review the project that the client had just assigned to you, determine the time frame and see if you can wrap it up within the specified time frame with the quality parameters being met.
And as long as you exceed the client’s expectations, you need not worry about the client approaching someone else for handing his various projects. But remember, that if the client asks you for a deadline, you may want to provide them with one, after you make a realistic assessment and even factor in a few delays as well.
These are some of the ways by which you can develop a close business relationship with a client. It is essential that you take all measures to develop a better working relationship as it can result in better working conditions, terms as well as more repeat projects from the client.
At the end of the day, you are trying to get the message across to your client that you value your working relationship with them and want to take it up to the next level.