Backup is the cornerstone of every successful website performance strategy. If you want to guarantee the protection of your website data and its content and not to fail at some point, backing up your website or having its reserved copy with one of the best WordPress backup plugins is what needs to be done first and foremost.
Backing up your WordPress website on a regular basis as well as before any process having to do with codes and database is one of the primary actions you should follow.
Luckily, there are numerous WordPress backup plugins you can rely on and sit back rested knowing that whatever happens, you will not lose your valuable website content and data.
In this article, we are going to compare the best of such backup tools and underline their pros and cons.
BackUPWordPress is an easy to use and lightweight backup solution you can find in the repository of WordPress backup plugins.
- Cost effective, ideal for Linux and Windows, supports Shared Hosting, VPS and other servers.
- No coding required. No coding process or setup is required to activate this plugin.
- Just install it from WP library or upload files to your server. Activate it quickly and be sure your site is regularly backed up.
- Both free and premium versions are available.
- Automatic backup scheduling. You can easily set up reasonable backup schedule for your site and BackUpWordPress will automatically backup your site (with Pro version).
- Support even for free users. Even if you have chosen the free working plan, the developers of this plugin are always ready to support you in your work.
- Slow or heavy backup process. The most common complaint about this plugin is that the backup is sometimes really slow or buggy.
BackupBuddy is a premium quality tool you can find among the best WordPress backup plugins and find really useful features for backup and restoration purposes.
- Simplicity. You will need only few steps to restore, backup or migrate your WordPress hosted site.
- Backup scheduling. You can quickly schedule daily or weekly setup plans and let this plugin do the rest.
- You can choose where to have your backups saved. You can use Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud, Amazon S3, FTP as well as request to send the backup data to your email.
- Pricing. If you want to have this plugin, you need to pay for it and not only once. The majority of plans are yearly so recurring costs are waiting for you.
- Technical knowledge is needed to deal with some features. Although this plugin is user friendly in general, there are some useful features which need some coding knowledge and expertise.
Another comprehensive backup platform that is offered for free is BackWPUP (premium service is also available). It’s one of the highest ranking backup WordPress plugins trusted by thousands of active WP users.
- Easy backup and restoration. You can set a rational timeframe for the plugin to backup your site to match your updates. On the other hand, restoring your WP powered website from backup is also amazingly simple.
- Optimization tools. This plugin is not only makes it effortlessly easy to backup your entire website, but also takes care of scanning for and repairing of corrupted files in your database.
- Multisite support.
- Pricing. Given what the premium version of BackWPUp comes loaded with, the price is relatively high.
- Bugs. As the client’s feedback prove, there are certain bugs in plugin, which the authors are trying to solve.
VaultPress is one of the best products of Automattic custom built to considerably simplify backup and security protection processes of any WordPress site.
- Real time backup. VaultPress grants you with much demanded automatic real time cloud backup variant.
- Simple restoration and migration. This plugin comes with single click restoration and website migration features.
- Security scanning. Protection against attacks and spams, hacks, malwares and accidental damages is done perfectly.
- Backup of dashboard and content files. This plugin will not backup whole WP installation, but dashboard and content files only.
- Does not work without Jeptack. If you are not using Jeptack premium, VaultPress is not going to do the best option for you.
- More expenses. No free version is available. Additionally, from purchasing premium Jeptack to flowing expenses in case of multiple WP sites support, VaultPress requires much of spending.
UpdraftPlus is one of the top rated and client oriented WordPress backup plugins to organize the backup and restoration of your site with simple procedures and few clicks.
- Fast backup, restoration and migration services. Whether you want to backup several files or the whole WordPress installation, you are free to do it with UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin.
- Numerous cloud storages support. UpdraftPlus can store your backups on Google Drive, Dropbox, S3, FTP, SFTP, Rackspace, email, etc.
- Priority support with premium version.
- Some of the most essential features like multisite support, cloning and migration are accessible only if you have purchased the paid version of UpdraftPlus.
- While the specialists of this plugin are responsive to complaints, they are sometimes irritated when communicating with WP users.
Duplicator makes it real to duplicate and save your valuable WP site whenever you want to change domain or hosting of your WP site.
More than one million active users of this plugin give a real picture of how powerful this plugin is. However, let’s see which are the advantages of Duplicator making it so popular and whether they are disadvantages you need to be aware of.
- Frequently updated. This plugin is constantly updated to meet all the current requirements of WordPress and its users.
- Possibility to backup the whole site or a part of it. You can manually backup your complete site or some files or parts of it.
- Lacks automated scheduled backups. It’s not the best advice for WP users whose sites are constantly updated and need automated backups to be kept securely.
If you are just setting up your website, then you should know that it is always a good idea to back up your work, all the time.
Irrespective of whether you are working with an excel spreadsheet or designing the layout for your brand new WordPress website, you would still be required to back up all data and that’s why you should check out our selection of some of the best WordPress backup plugins compared (pros and cons).
This should give you a good idea as to which plugins are the best, which ones operate automatically and which ones are reliable and fast. So let’s jump right into it, shall we?
- Back up WordPress: This plugin is designed especially for WordPress sites and is fairly easy to use.
What makes this plugin stand out from the rest is the fact that it offers you a light weight solution and is perfect to be used on Linux, Windows and even comes bundled with VPS hosting as well as shared hosting, among other features.
You do not need to code anything on your site all that is required is to search and locate it in the WP library and install and activate it from your admin area.
Now, your website should get regularly backed up and you should not lose out on any data. The only downside is that this back up plugin which comes with both free and premium version tends to be a little buggy and a tad slow.
- Back up buddy: This is one of the premium backup plugins available for WordPress. It is easy to install and activate the same; all you have to do is to search for it on your WP site and download it and install the same.
Now you can back up earlier versions of your site and even restore the same with the click of a button. All you have to do is to choose the destination as to where you want the backup version to be saved – you can pick from drop box, Amazon and even to your email.
You can even schedule regular backups, but the con is that this is not a free product. You would be required to renew it periodically and you may need some tech knowhow to operate some of the main features.
- BackWPUp: This is another comprehensive back up platform that you can set up without much hassle and start using it right away to save earlier versions of your site.
It comes with a load of features, you can use it to schedule your back ups, and even choose the destination folders. You should be able to restore the same with ease as well.
The only downside is that the free version tends to come with a few bugs but the easy interface somehow makes up for it. The premium version is slightly on the expensive side.
These are some of the best WordPress back up plugins compared (pros and cons), and now you should have a better idea of which one to use on your WordPress site.