Theme Options lost when creating a child theme

Home Forums I Am One Support Theme Options lost when creating a child theme

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laura KohanLaura Kohan
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5
    • Total: 7

When I already had  the theme set up I created a child theme for some customizations but that means I lose all the configuration I already had, menus, front page, etc. Is there a way get the settings into the child theme? Thank you

Laura KohanLaura Kohan

It’s already fixed.

Sonnal S SinhaSonnal S Sinha
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 6964
    • Total: 6974

Okay cool. Do share what was the problem or how you fixed it.

Regards,
    Shri

Laura KohanLaura Kohan

Hi, it wasn’t a problem, per se, is the way things are saved into the database.

When I am one Pro is activated, two rows are created in the options table: optionsframework_iamonepro (all theme cstomizations like logo, favicon, I am one Pro sections) and theme_mods_iamonepro (menus already asigned, widgets etc).

All the settings for the theme go there.

When creating a child theme and activating it, wordpress creates two new row for the theme which are clean optionsframework_childthemename and theme_mods_childthemename.

What I did was to activate the child theme so that these two rows were created, then disabled the child theme again (wasn’t sure if I would modify them while it was active), copied the values from the rows for I am one pro and used them to do an update on my child theme option rows, then I reactivated the Child Theme and everything that had already been set up on the parent them was there on my child theme 🙂

Apparently there  is another way, you can customize the name of those two variables in functions.php so that the child theme uses the same options name as the parent theme instead of creating new ones, that way if you switch between the parent and child theme all the options are retains because it is really using the same options. But I went the other way and it worked.

Hope this helps

Keymaster

Okay will remember this. Sorry for the all the hassle and thanks for writing such a detailed explanation.

Regards,
    Shri

Jason ScopelletiJason Scopelleti
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2
    • Total: 2

I just purchased the Pro version but had already created a site with a child theme of the free; now that I have the Pro is it possible to import everything I’ve done in that child theme in to the Pro?

Edit: Basically, I used the plugin Childify Me to create a child theme called Authentech 1.0, based upon SKT Black and have modified it extensively, but now I’ve purchased and installed SKT Black Pro and am wondering if I’m able to duplicate the child theme or otherwise get it to inherit templates from the Pro version rather than the Free version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately the Pro version uses shortcodes and saves its data separately in a different row of the same table as free. So unfortunately you have to again re-create child theme. You can do it faster as you know what modifications were done.

Regards,
    Shri

Jason ScopelletiJason Scopelleti
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2
    • Total: 2

Ok thanks I figured as much.  I’ll probably not bother and just use the template for other websites.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.