Cutsnstyle Pro Internet Explorer Problem

Home Forums All Other Themes Cutsnstyle Pro Internet Explorer Problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AlvinAlvin
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 2

I created a website for a client with a static home page using the slider and several pages without the slider. All pages render fine using FireFox and Chrome on Windows and Linux; and Firefox and even Safari on a MAC are all OK; even Edge on Windows 10 looks good. The home page slider works fine and all the other pages look good.

Using Explorer however all is not well (I didn’t do an extensive test but IE11 and IE10 don’t work in the same way). The home page renders fine (more or less), the slider works OK. The “inside” pages however render the header with navigation bar then there’s a very large gap to scroll down before you see the content. It looks like it’s making room for something about where the slider would go but nothing is there nor is there anything expected to be there; this large empty space just shows up. After scrolling down, all the expected content is there but you have to scroll down quite a bit to see it.

I did tests with IE “compatibility mode”; put the meta tag in the header to emulate Explorer 8, 9, 10. Nothing worked.

I’ve looked at all the css I can stand. I did not exhaustively look at the Javascript as this was starting to get a bit involved.

I’ve exhausted everything I can think of, I need some help to get this fixed. The client is upset and I’m trying to pull this together as quickly as possible. The theme worked so well using Chrome and Firefox on all platforms I overlooked testing IEx (shame on me). Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
    af

Sonnal S SinhaSonnal S Sinha
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 6964
    • Total: 6974

Internet Explorer until 10 is officially dead from Windows as they have announced recently so not sure why you can’t place a plugin like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-browser-check/

It would encourage customers to either use Chrome or Firefox or use the most updated IE.

Regards,
    Shri

AlvinAlvin
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1
    • Total: 2

I found what I thought was a temporary solution until I heard from SKT support. In Theme Options -> Basic Settings -> Custom CSS I added the following:

div.innerbanner {display:none !important;}
    div.innerbanner img {display:none !important;}

This is not a perfect solution, but it did not kill the slider on the home page and it did close up that IE horrible gap on the other pages. If you’re using the innerbanner, I suppose this won’t work for you. It did shrink the header a bit, but I didn’t think it was fatal.

Asking the users who are using Internet Explorer to change browsers IMHO is not a solution to this problem. Obviously there is an incompatibility of the theme with Internet Explorer. In my testing, IE 10 and 11 as well as previous versions had the problem; Edge was OK. I don’t want to put technical roadblocks in the way of folks browsing the site. Many folks will just go away if they see a message like “Your browser is incompatible with this site, upgrade it.”, I don’t want that to happen and I want them to have a good experience. I’m not a fan of IE, but there are still substantial numbers using it.

Also I don’t understand the response in light of the code I found in the theme where IE of various versions was accounted for.

Even though IE usage continues to decline, it is still one of the three most popular browsers. Folks who don’t upgrade to EDGE or switch to Firefox or Chrome for whatever reason, are still eyeballs that I want to see the site without “encouraging them to upgrade” messages.

Thanks for the reply on the weekend, I hope my solution will help other using cutsnstyle and perhaps other themes as well.

Al

Sonnal S SinhaSonnal S Sinha
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 30657
    • Total: 30657

Hi Alvin,

Kindly show us your website URL

Regards,
    Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.