Construction theme: YUGE images vs. thumbnails

Home Forums All Other Themes Construction theme: YUGE images vs. thumbnails

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Devin CappsDevin Capps
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 9
    • Total: 16

I am running Construction Pro on my site http://cappsconstruction.com, and I have a burning question:

Why does this theme serve full sized-images in thumbnail fields?

For example, in the gallery section on the home page, the images display at like 300×200, yet the theme calls the full-sized images to fill these spots (in my case, the images are HUGE: 3000×2000). So basically, the site is serving 12 massive images in spaces where their medium or even small thumbs will do, and it slows the page down.

The wrong solution would be to upload smaller sized images, when WordPress conveniently generates scaled versions of each image on upload. How can we get this theme to pull the appropriate thumbnail size for the job? It seems kind of lazy that it just grabs the original image.

Ideally, you could tell me where each section calls the_post_thumbnail() so I can modify the $size parameter to suit each section. Another good solution might be a plugin, if you know of any, that does this through a filter of some kind.

Sonnal S SinhaSonnal S Sinha
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 30587
    • Total: 30587

Hi Devin,

Kindly activate the SKT Construction theme so that we can see the exact issue. Currently some other theme activated on your URL.

Regards,
    Brad

Devin CappsDevin Capps

Apologies. Here is the correct url: http://cappsconcrete.com

That site is running Construction Pro.

Sonnal S SinhaSonnal S Sinha
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 30587
    • Total: 30587

Hi Devin,
    Simple solution to this is when you set up an image as a featured image you are given option of size i.e. large, small, thumbnail or medium. Kindly select medium size to solve this problem.

Regards,
    Dave

Devin CappsDevin Capps

The problem with the simple solution is this: Let’s say I resize images down to 350px wide for example… That will work to speed up the page load, but when a user clicks on those 350px wide gallery images, they only get a 350px wide lightbox image that comes up.

The ideal solution, for me, would be to modify the script in a child theme so that the gallery displays the medium thumbnails, but links to the original, larger image. If you could direct me to where the gallery script calls the images for home page display and I can change the img src to medium and the href link to the larger image.

Which theme files would I find that script in?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.